June 12, 2006

is it in you?

they've been selling us this World Cup stuff for weeks now, saying how everything is different for the Usa this time, or "It's a whole new ballgame," if you will. And on and on.

Here I am watching the replay as I write this. The Yanks are losing 2-0 after 71 minutes.

Initially, hope sprang eternal. I was humming, "My Country 'Tis of Thee" and "Star Spangled Banner," my nationalism swelling. and i watched some tall czech score against us in the first five minutes. and then later they scored again. and then we didn't score. and it was around the 57th minute that i realized i'd been sold a lie.

this US team is horrible. i don't care what they're ranked - they're horrible. it's obvious we don't belong with the Big Boys and we probably never will.

3-0. Czechs score at 75 minutes. and i've never felt so right about anything.

what's worse is they keep scrolling breaking news about Ben Roethlisberger being almost dead, but because I don't believe in stopping the tape before the game's over, I will continue to wonder if the Steeler's QB is living or dead.

you know, there's no sport as maddening to watch as soccer/futball when your team is losing. i've found myself for moments forgetting that i existed. because i don't know the game that well, i can't even tell if the Yanks are trying. it sure doesn't look like they are. it looks like they're just kicking the ball out of bounds whenever they can. i'm not confident in saying they've taken 5 shots on goal today.

we're at 82 minutes. perhaps a great miracle is in the works. then again, perhaps there isn't. OH, but look out three-time World Cup winner Italy! You will see a fierce US team this Saturday! You won't like us when we're angry!! We're #5 in the WORLD. bwahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha..............

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you think you're a blogger...I love it. "Stay and procrastinate with me." Perfect. One day RP, one day I will challenge you at your game, but not yet. You have a head start use it wisely.
But seriously, it's funny and I look forward to more.

rp_mo said...

anonymous? that's laughable. no one has ever been less anonymous. your fingerprints are all over this, friend. too obvious, really.