August 31, 2006

pluto is still a planet

Apparently Pluto is no longer a planet.

I've been meaning to say something about this for a few days now. Might as well break the Napkin Sketches silence with this one, I thought. I mean this story is really really stupid, no? Who knew we, the citizens of planet earth, had an international council of astronomers who carry the power to declare the status of planethood? or to remove it for that matter? Seriously, how did these guys monopolize the power of naming & classifying the universe?

Well guess what? If you ask me, they haven't.

You see, they can change the definition of the word "planet" all they want, doesn't mean they can steal Pluto's planetary status away from us. They can't force me to teach my children that there are eight planets. They can't change hundreds of years' worth of grade school science projects. They can't undo millions of text books. They can't take away what's inside all of us.

Listen up you Indian-giving astronomers: Pluto is not Microsoft Office. In other words, you can't just tweak last year's version because you're bored and you need to justify earning a salary. The Solar System isn't as fickle as that.

Pluto is a planet. That's what they taught me throughout all my years and I ain't changing now. Sure, maybe if you told me the earth was round I'd say "whatever pal, believe whatever you want." Maybe that would make me a fool. But I ask you, what's the harm in keeping Pluto a planet?

You see, the pieces of the Solar System are like characters in a TV show. When you find a hit character that everyone loves you'd be stupid to kill them off. And everyone loves Pluto. Need I remind you of the dog?

And another thing. At least Pluto has a solid surface, unlike those other planets made of gas and vapor. Those planets are kind of dumb compared to Pluto, when you really think about it.

But the biggest point here is that most earth-dwellers still consider Pluto to be a planet. We out-number the Space Council and therefore we have all the power. Of course, we all understand that demoting a planet is on par with sleeping with your best friend's girl. You just don't do that. Not ever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rage against the machine all you want, it will probably be changed in a generation anyway. Practicing your "when I was a kid" speech already?